Diversity and intelligence, two subjects that aren’t related, right? Diversity and intelligence are closely related in many ways, some which are very surprising. The video White teachers diverse classrooms discusses diverse relationships between teachers and students. Research cited in the video showed evidence that students of a particular culture responded better to a teacher of the same race or gender. In the video we learn of a Black teacher who is working with Black students. The Black teacher asks the students outright who they listen to more. These students said they would listen to the black teacher more.
For me, a white teacher, this is confusing. Our society is moving in a direction of inclusion. While this is favorable and beneficial, it is also confusing. With the progress that has been made in race relations, shouldn't that mean that we as teachers are better able to connect with students of all diverse backgrounds? Thinking in terms of gender, I do agree with many of the points in this video. I teach string music lessons, and have a mix of girl and boy students. I would estimate that roughly 70% of the students are not affected by me being a male teacher. I sense that 30% are affected though. I see this through body language and hesitation to participate or ask questions.
These issues that teachers face are also addressed in Chapter 6 of the Woolfolk text. For example, on page 242-243, Woolfolk addresses the issue by stating, “We must learn who our students are and understand the legacies that they bring. Nothing you read in a chapter on cultural differences will teach you enough to understand the lives of all your students.”
The article, “White Folks Who Teach In The Hood”, also discussed concepts that I found relevant. The author poses a question, “How do we get disinterested kids to care about themselves and their education?”. I felt that Woolfolk addressed this issue on pages 263-273 of the text. She highlights many points, including:
- Reinforcing with teacher attention
- Selecting reinforcers
- Shaping (reinforcing progress rather than waiting for perfection)
- Positive practice
- Contingency contracts (details what students must achieve to receive a reward)
- Group consequences
- Handling undesirable behavior
Personally, I have dealt with many of these situations and responses on an individual student basis. No response to address issues with learning is right for every student. I do believe that we can find an appropriate response for each child from the list though. Catering to each student’s needs will certainly help show children how to take interest in their education.
Finally, Woolfolk connects many of these issues in Chapters 6-8. Most notably, she ties together intelligence and diversity as related to learning and motivation. Pages 221-224 of the text detail the relationship between socioeconomic status and school achievement. Culture and diversity really do affect teaching and learning, and misunderstandings can occur when cultures meet. Perhaps points in chapter 8 (Learning and Motivation) can help. Specifically, perception (p. 294) and attention (p. 295) can play large roles. Teachers can most effectively assess student understanding by catering to various learning styles.
Many of the points taken from the reading and videos this week are crucially important to our success as teachers. I plan to take some of these suggestions and test them now in my private violin studio to see how they work in the real world!
No comments:
Post a Comment