A large portion of chapter one is devoted to the question "What is good teaching?" We are given three examples. First, we learn about some children who speak little to no English and are in a bilingual classroom. Within one year, the teacher has helped the students not only master English, but also strongly perform to the first grade standards. It can't be easy! A teacher who can take students who don't speak English, and help them master the language and curriculum is surely a result of good teaching.
A second example details a suburban 5th grade class. In this highly diverse class, the teacher has students complete "drafts" of their writing, and then discuss them with other students. They later revise, edit, and "publish" the works. The cooperation of students produces high results, and also teaches the kids about working together.
I think about good teaching a lot. As a violin teacher, I often reflect on what I tell students during a lesson. Could I have said something better? Did I introduce material too soon? How we work with our students will result in more than just learning the material, it will help shape the lives of the students.
Next, the text focuses on "Cognitive Development". Clearly, this section includes studies and information on the brain and its functions. I found the image (figure 2.3) on page 37 to be particularly interesting. It shows what bodily functions are controlled by various areas of the brain. Thinking about education, many parts of the brain have to work together. This seems to be a very delicate process, and I understand that students with learning disabilities or other issues may have a physical issue.
Piaget also has an important theory of cognitive development. According to Piaget, some ways of thinking as an adult may seem easy, although they are not easy for a child. This is very important to us as teachers. As adults, we take many concepts for granted. This is not true for children! We can't assume that they know basic things. Rather, it should be shown through assessment.
Finally, chapter three covers development in regard to three categories: self, social, and moral. These are important concepts. One noticeable area of development is in physicality. Preschool students experience rapid development of gross and fine motor skills. Play is very important for kids at this age, as it help brain development.
Social development comes later, and it can be a complicated issue. Some students develop eating disorders as a result of stress. Some of this stress may come from school, peers, or at home. It is important for teachers to identify these situations and direct the student to help.
Finally, moral development comes last. Understanding others requires us to understand ourselves. We must be able to put ourselves into the shoes of others in order to understand their unique situations. There are many things that influence moral behaviors. Direct instruction, supervision, rewards and punishments, and correction are some examples. Not surprisingly, children who have been consistently exposed to caring, generous adult models tend to be more concerned for the rights and feelings of others.
There was a lot of material covered in chapters 1-3. I learned a lot about cognitive development and its relation to learning. Although learning is the main function of a school, I always imagined that it was subject or concept based. The fact that this learning can include all areas of life makes the job seem much more complex. It will not scare me off though!
No comments:
Post a Comment