Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Module 4

Complex cognition. That sums up Woolfolk chapters 9 and 11. Chapter 9 covers several key areas of learning such as metacognition, learning strategies, problem solving, creativity, critical thinking and argumentation. As I learn more about these concepts, the more I realize what is happening in this very psychology class! Metacognition refers to "knowledge or awareness of self as knower" (Woolfolk 328). Thinking about thinking. In terms of learning, metacognition applies at various levels. It helps us know if we have the right knowledge to solve a problem, decide where to focus attention, determine if we understand what we read, devise plans, or use strategies.

Understanding metacognition is important, but to see it in action, we look to learning strategies. On page 331, Woolfolk describes learning strategies as "a special kind of procedural knowledge - knowing how to do something" (Woolkfolk 331). I try to develop learning strategies in my violin lessons each day. I know that not two students learn the same way, and if I have 60 students, I need to explain the same concept 60 different ways. I also need to devise 60 different strategies for them to practice and learn!

As we understand learning strategies, we begin to understand how to approach problem solving. Woolfolk says on page 339, "A problem has an initial state, a goal, and a path for reaching a goal. Being a good educator means setting high goals that are attainable. We must always push students beyond what they think is possible. The achievement also helps student morale and self-image.

On page 350, Woolfolk mentions this fact "Creativity is the ability to produce work that is original but still appropriate and useful." Creativity needs divergent thinking. In terms of music, the same song can be performed in many ways. Great performances are a result of creative thinking and a desire to sometimes go against what is commonly accepted as correct!

Tying all of these concepts together is critical thinking. Critical thinking is "the intellectually disciplined process of actively and skillfully conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing, and/or evaluating information gathered from, or generated by, observation, experience, reflection, reasoning, or communication, as a guide to belief and action" (Woolfolk 355).

Chapter 11 discusses social cognition in relation to one's self image. Modeling, Self-efficacy, self-regulated learning, and theories of learning. 

Modeling is learning by observing others. This is how we learn as children. My daughter likes to copy what I do, and I have to be careful how I act in front of her. Modeling is also how my violin students learn. They watch me play exercises and songs, and then try themselves.

Self-efficacy is a context-specific assessment of competence to perform a specific task (Woolfolk 419). Many students may have issues with self-efficacy. I imagine that if they think they cant do something before trying, they may actually prevent themselves from succeeding. This happens in music all the time!

Self-regulated learning is a simple concept for me. It is what I'm experiencing in this psychology class! Self-regulated learners must be highly motivated. Woolfolk says, "They focus their attention and other cognitive and emotional resources on the task at hand" (Woolfolk 424-5).

Theories of learning help put together the pieces from all of the above qualities. It is important to remember, "Don't feel that you must choose the "best" approach, - there is no such thing" (Woolfolk 437). There are many theories of learning. If at first you don't succeed, try again!


No comments:

Post a Comment